How to convince someone to quit self harm?

V💎 • ⛈

My best friend heavily self harms and I tried talking to him and to try get him to stop but even though he understands it’s not good I don’t think he will stop. He does it for aesthetic reasons, he likes to use it as a way to express himself and instead of the usual lines he cuts doodles and symbols onto his skin (ngl he’s pretty skilled) because he cant get tattoos yet. He is depressed and that’s how he started but he says he doesn’t feel a thing when he cuts and he really doesn’t care. He doesn’t care about himself and it makes me feel horrible because he’s always there for other people but doesn’t do enough for himself. I don’t know if I want to get other people involved because I don’t know how he will feel about that, he’ll know I’m just trying to help him but it’s not a good time rn to have people bother him about it. But idk. I never know what to say to him when he shows me what he’s recently cut into himself and I don’t want to shame him for it but neither do I want to act likes it’s cool. What’s the right thing to tell him?