New to this group!

Kaitlin • 🌸 Mama of T H R E E 🌸

Hoping I can find some better support here. I am having to switch doctors because today at my appointment, after having quit smoking pot and testing clean for several appointments my doctor made me feel VERY uncomfortable and judged. I posted about it in another group, obviously the wrong one, and was severely judged torn down rather than encouraged.

Here’s what happened.

I was dirty for marijuana my very first two appointments of my pregnancy because my system had not cleared it. From the get go my nurses and doctors acted very awkward and judgmental. Since those appointments however I have tested clean because I had quit. My 24 week appointment is coming up and my doctor calls to reschedule it with me. This is around thanksgiving. A week later I call and reschedule the appointment she had already rescheduled for an additional week, as my doctor is only at the office in my town on Fridays and this just worked best for me. During thanksgiving time I decided and was encouraged by several other friends and family members to hit a small bowl once before eating, to encourage my appetite. So over the course of 5 days I hit a small bowl, once in each sitting. So it’s now time for my appointment and it’s been about 6 weeks since my last due to doctor rescheduling and then I rescheduled. I haven’t had any marijuana for 2 weeks at this point and didn’t plan on smoking it again until after baby arrived. So i may or may not test for it, but that’s not what I’m worried about, because I know that when it’s baby time my system will be clear of it and no way will baby test for it. I go in and THE FIRST thing my nurse and doctor says to me are

Doctor: “oh its been six weeks since we’ve seen you....where have you been? We’ll need to do a drug test. It wasn’t because of anything like that was it?? If i don’t know, I can’t help”

Me: “no....it was just because of the holidays.”

Doctor: “Oh were you traveling or something?”

Me: “Yeah for thanksgiving”.

Doctor: “Okay well since it’s been 6 weeks I need to do a drug screen because sometimes that’s why.”

Me: “Um...okay”

So I was asked to pee twice today as they had already gotten rid of my first sample before drug screening it and my doctor really made me feel like she thought I was some drug addict. My friend was there and even said “oh my god why are they acting like that, they literally think you’re on drugs.”

The whole appointment they were focused on drug screening my urine sample and barely spoke of anything else. I felt so judged and even thought they may have thought I would test for something else when all I’ve ever tested for is a little marijuana. The focus on it was excessive. Regardless if I do test positive for it or not, I could have chose to not smoke at all before my family dinners but due to the rescheduling of the appointment I was treated this way....even though SHE initially rescheduled. I left in tears feeling completely uncomfortable with my current practice.