DeQuervains aka “Mommy Thumb”

Hayley

About two weeks ago, I noticed a pain in my wrist when twisting/turning it a certain way. My joints have always been a little weak (particularly my wrists and knees), so I assumed I had just tweaked it and it would go away in a few days. Nope. It’s worsened and now I have a swollen lump on my thumb side. I googled it (like everyone does with health problems these days lol) and my symptoms match up with a thing called “Mommy Thumb” or DeQuervains Tendonitis. One of the articles I read said that up to 50% of new moms get this from lifting and carrying a baby (particularly from lifting under the armpits, like a pincer grab).

You can get it from other things too, like typing or knitting or lifting boxes... but moms get it most because we don’t have time to rest it. When I’m not looking after my baby, I’m cooking or cleaning, so I don’t get to rest it. Worse, I’m a stay at home EBF mom and in the 4 month sleep regression stage where my LO wakes up like 4 times a night and so my only “break” from her is about 4 hours in the evening when her dad is home (he takes her between feeds) and, like I said, then I have to cook and clean in that time too.

Does anyone else have this? I’m going to buy a brace and take some anti inflammatories and hopefully that helps and it heals after a few weeks. If not, they have steroids and surgery I can do, but that’s not ideal. :(