The death of a family member...

Crystal

Please read this, I’m sorry its long, just please read it...When I was 3, my family decided to check out an animal shelter. When we got there, we immediately went to the cat section, where we found this two-year-old calico cat that I immediately fell in love with. I wouldn’t leave without it, so we bought her. She had been saved from an abusive household that kept her in a cage all day and in a smaller one at night, so she was a very skittish cat… It didn’t help that every time I saw her, I’d run out here and yell “KITTY!!” Eventually Coco (That’s the name I decided on) Would come up to us and let us pet her. We lived in that house for two more years and got really really close to Coco. She became part of the family, just as important to us as a sister a brother. She gained lots of weight, she was underweight when we got her. We eventually moved to a new house in the same town on the outside of town, and because she didn’t know the area, she got lost one time but I found her when I was walking around town. A year later when I was six, she was 4, she was diagnosed with cancer in the backs of both her legs. The vet gave her a month to live.

5 years later...

Coco stopped eating her treats that my mom gave her ever night when she got home from work. She began to go outside to the kennels we have in our back yard to sleep. She lost at least 3 pounds in a month. I’d go outside to check on her every day to make sure she was alright. But one day… I decided I wouldn’t go check on her, “She’s fiiine” I thought. Such a fool I was. That same night, as I was about to go upstairs to talk to my mom, she met me at the door. “Coco’s dead!” My mom sobbed.. the one day I didn’t check on her was the day she died. I didn’t even get to say goodbye... we buried her that night, I cried and cried for days upon days after that, knowing she was alone when she died, cold and alone... it’s been 3 years, I’m 13 now, almost 14, and I still have dreams about her. How amazing she was, how I wish I could pet her one more time... but she’s gone. My baby girl is gone...