Engagement party dilemma

Ramina

So , my SO proposed to me last month. We then decided that we will plan the wedding over a year or so. Meanwhile we thought we would have a small engagement party at home on april 27th .

It happens that, even though that date works better for us, it also will be one week before my cousin's wedding. I am very close to my cousin . I asked him , straight up"hey we would like to have our engagement party on the 27th of april . We are also aware that it is mad close to yall wedding so by all means , if it will create a conflict of schedule, to you and your fiancé, for whatever reason, let us know and we will put some effort into moving it . He comes back and says that he and his fiancée are totally cool with it . So ok. We move fwd and i start organizing.

2 weeks later i receive a msg from her telling me that she heard that i plan on an engagement party a week before her wedding and it is very inconvenient.

I was confused to my fiancé and i decided to call them to clarify . Came to find out my cousin never really communicated with her and even when he did, he overlooked what she said and decided to tell us that there was no problem.

This call was full of frustration. I didnt understand why my cousin mislead me (and her) but my fiancé is a bottom line guy so he said listen, bottom line is you should have been clear , we would have figured something else .

Now , the issue is, we decided to let go of the 27th but some friends tell us that we shouldnt . We picked the 27th because it made sense with our schedule . That it is his fault for not being clear and that we shouldn't change our plans based on that because we did our part by asking first .

The girl is kind of looking at me as if i am trying to steal her shine even though ours is an engagement and theirs a wedding.

I have been torn ever since . What should i do?