guy problems 😪 NEED ADVICE DESPERATELY THO 😭

okay so there’s this guy. he’s rlly cute and so sweet and i first met him when i was sitting with another group that my friend was in. he had a gf when i met him (beginning of the year) and i had a bf. fast forward to second semester. he ends up bein in my first period, and he sits right behind me. a couple of weeks ago, he hit up my friend about me saying i was cute and basically he was rlly interested in me. i gave my friend my number to give to him, and we started texting. we then would talk at lunch and break and he’d walk me to a couple of my classes. then, i start getting talked about, and everyone is telling me dirt about him bc he recently ended a thing he had with this one girl. people were tellin me he has a girl or he’s working things out, so i kinda faded away. he texted me this past weekend asking me about why i kinda stopped talking to him and i was straight up. he told me that he frfr is done with her bc she’s too complicated for him. today we were walking at lunch and the girl that he had a thing with started talking hella loud about another guy and eyeing me the whole time :/ he’s rlly nice and he’s sweet and he’s rlly cute but i don’t wanna get hurt. idk if i should give him a chance, hoping for the best, or if i should just tell him i think we should remain as friends. my friends don’t like him cuz everybody basically hears bad things about him, and his friends don’t exactly like me cuz i’m not in their “fuck circle” cuz i got morals 🙄 we both like each other, but it’s not like i could fully avoid him cuz he’s in one of my classes. HELP WOULD B VERY MUCH APPRECIATED !!