Boyfriend problems

Ok so me and my boyfriend have had a few ups and downs. He doesn't like me smoking and the first time I smoked when we went back home he was super angry with me as I said I wasn't going to and I did which is understandable, and he said I was never ever allowed to smoke again and that I had to promise him that.

So then the other day I went out and my boyfriend wasn't there and I had a cigarette and stopped half way as I didn't want anymore and thought it was disrespecting him.

Week later we went out with my friends and I asked my friend if she was making herself a cigarette and my boyfriend said to me did you just ask her to make you a cigarette which I felt interrogated and obviously I said no.

Then he said he could tell something was up and he told me to look in his eyes and promise I didn't smoke the other time I went out which I couldn't do. When we walked back home I admitted to him I smoked but stopped as I didn't like it and felt bad on his behalf.

He just told me how dissapointed he was in me and how disrespectful I was and how rude, literally making me feel like shit.

Ok I understand I've done wrong stuff but I've never been controlling over him the only time I've maybe been a little is when he liked all of this girls photos on Facebook. But even then I sat him down and chatted to him about it and I didn't rip into him saying how dissapointed I was. I was hurt how he reacted. I'm so exhausted and still feel a little hurt but he said to me if anyone should feel hurt it's him. I'm so confused and exhausted it's like I can't say how I truly feel because he will get really hurt or will cry (he's super sensitive). I don't know what to do