Dear Dad,

Dear Dad,

You are an asshole. You showed me your true colors when you manipulated me, hit me and “didn’t remember it”, when we were talking about the lgbtq+ community and said “i hope you’re not like that, i hope you’re normal”. Mom would never say that, she never did. She told me she would love and support me no matter what. Guess i can’t say the same for you. You showed your true colors when you emotionally and physically abused me, when you hit me and i begged you not to touch me and said “you don’t know what a beating really is”, when you asked me why i wasn’t smart enough, when you compared me to everyone else. You showed your true colors when you almost killed me, when you drank an entire pitcher of beer and proceeded to drive home while i was in the passenger seat, when you were pushing 90 mph over the train tracks so you could “get air time”. When you ruined Easter sunday by bringing up the things from my past that i regret more than anything; the things i have worked so hard on. You showed your true colors when you loved yourself more than me.