Time to hang up the bike

Amanda 🐢 • Had our 🌈👶🏽 in Nov!

I knew it would happen, but I expected a few more months, honestly. Yesterday at my 13w check up my dr pulled my biking privileges. (Though, at least she gave me the rest of the week to get there mentally).

I know it sounds like a stupid thing to be disappointed about, but I’m a huge cyclist. I bike commute to work every day—rain or shine. I’m a cycling advocate at my work place and bike month *just* started! Oh, and it’s finally beautiful weather here in the pacific north west. 😭

The last time I had to take months off of the bike I developed some depression and gained more weight than I’d like to admit. One thing I love about bike commuting is the 50-60 minutes a day of free active exercise that I don’t have to shoehorn in some other way. I *hate* the gym and stationary bikes are the devil’s invention. I also hate commuting, and biking to work isn’t a commute for me. It’s a bike ride where I end up at the office.

So, here I am, trying to figure out how I’m going to get that exercise in without going crazy. Meanwhile, my husband is thrilled. Apparently he’s been worried about me riding, but hasn’t said anything because he was pretty sure this is how I would react. His big concern is that now I plan to bus to work and he’s not thrilled about the cost of the bus pass. (I could easily drive, but that’s not happening until waddling to the bus stop becomes more work than I can handle). I’m contemplating making walking part of the commute, maybe one way.

Also, even though I feel stable and fine on the bike, I’m not going to ignore her orders—it’s taken us 3 miscarriages to get here and we’re not interested in going through that again.

Anyway, I’m not looking for advice or anything, I mostly had to share with someone, even if it’s the void. I’ll figure something out. (And here’s hoping my more astute coworkers don’t connect the dots until we’re ready to disclose in 2 freaking months).