Do you ever get over your first love?

Jen

First breakup and I don’t really know how to handle it. I’m 22 and I was only with the guy for 6 months but I’ve honestly never felt closer to someone before. He was my best friend and we saw each other every day and I got along so great with his family. I lost my virginity to him and I don’t regret it, I just wish things could have worked out. I think the reason I’m struggling so much is because I never had that high school breakup/romance. My first relationship was when I was older and thinking more about the future and we both wanted the same things. I’ve had little flings and I’ve had my heart broken in the past but nothing like this.

He ended things because he thought we could be better friends than anything. But then he decided that it was best to just say goodbye because he thinks he would just lead me on again and it would break me even more. I fell in love with him and right now I don’t see those feelings going away. Do you ever really get over your first love? Any advice on how to move on? Right now I just want to be by myself but when I’m by myself I just cry and reminisce.