5 years later, a piece of my birth control was still inside of me!

Stacey • I’m 23. RIP King X. Rolling 👼 Had my rainbow baby Montana M. Rolling👶🏽 🌈

I know this all is about to sound crazy, so bare with me.

About 4-5 years ago, I had my IUD taken out because it was causing me a lot of pain and irritation and irregular bleeding. When my OB was in the process of taking it out, she was having trouble finding it. She said it had moved and actually embedded and that if I were having sex I’m lucky that I didn’t get pregnant (assuming I didn’t use condoms I guess is what she meant). Luckily it wasn’t extremely embedded and I didn’t have to have surgery or anything to get it out.

I didn’t really think anything of it, because after it was out, I felt 1000 times better.

So I switched to a new OB, and I decided I wanted to get pregnant and had been trying but it wasn’t working. Until about 3 years later. I finally got pregnant and was as happy as could be! But last March, at 20 weeks pregnant I ended up going into preterm labor with my son due to having an incompetent cervix. It was devastating to say the least.

About 5 months later, I was pregnant again with my rainbow ♥️ I had to go through the process of getting a cervical cerclage to prevent going into preterm labor, and actually just had my baby boy 8 weeks ago today!

Now this is what’s crazy to me. I had my follow up appointment yesterday from having the baby, to check to make sure everything was healed and all the usual. So she’s almost done with the exam, and then she pulls something out of me and we were both looking at each other like WTF?!?!

I was really, really confused. It was a piece of my birth control. Almost 5 YEARS LATER. I gave birth TWICE, to my angel baby and my rainbow baby, and this thing was STILL in there!!!

My thoughts now are just...HOW? And also wondering if it had anything to do with me losing my first baby, being that it was a foreign object and who knows what could’ve happened?

With all that being said, I’m going to stay off of any kind of birth control. I’m not trying to scare anybody but please be aware of IUD’s! If you feel something isn’t right, get checked 🤞 When properly placed and checked, IUD’s can be a great thing for some people!