Crush or Friend Crush, so Confusing

I have a guy friend who we’ll call Chris. Chris is a real funny guy and I really enjoy talking with him. I enjoy texting him so much that it actually physically upset me when I had to stop when I went swimming in a river as the reception was on and off. For a few months now I’ve been questioning whether or not I like him or just want to be a closer/better friend.

My definition of a friend crush is when you want to be a closer and/or a better friend to someone. Not “I have a crush on my friend” lol.

It’s quite confusing at times and I’ve been trying to ignore it and just let things be. But it does often make it hard for me to text Chris as I always get nervous.

I’ve also asked him for his opinion and advice on one other guy friend who I think might like me. I had wanted a fresh opinion from a friend and a guy I had never asked stuff like that about. I told him what the message was and he told me exactly what I feared. That the guy was most likely romantically interested in me. I didn’t want to lead him on by accident since I so stupidly answered his question and asked it back because my communication skills include mimicking other people’s questions and such. And I also didn’t want to be the girl that friend zoned him. I don’t ever want to have to friend zone someone as I fear I may loose them as a friend as a consequence of it.

And the vocabulary I use when texting Chris is, again, mimicked. So it’s a lot of “bro”, “dude”, “my guy”, and one time even “brother” since I use that word a lot with my female friends as well. (To which in his response he used “sister” and we ain’t tryna be Alabama up in here)

So I feel as though any romantic chance with Chris has gone down the toilet because of what I have discussed with him. Which makes me fret over the situation all the more.

I just wish I could tell him my confusing feelings on him and get his advice on it. But of course, that would most likely cost our friendship. And I’d rather be in the friend zone than ask and be avoided for the rest of HS and basically my entire life.