Sleep training & Bed Time Routine

I’m trying to set up a daily routine for my daughter and I, so she can sleep alone in her crib at a certain time everyday. Tonight is officially the first night reintroducing it to her. When she was a newborn, she went to sleep at 10 and stayed asleep the whole night. But her dad got a new job, staying over my MILs, and road trips kinda threw us off it. Now, she’s used to waiting for dad to get home, and sleeping in bed with us late. She’s been crying in her crib for awhile now. I walked in to rub her belly and walked out. She was still crying. I waited and walked back to rub her hair (she likes that) but she was still crying and standing up in her crib. I waited and walked back I picked her up and rubbed her back. I put her back down singing and rubbing her hair, she closed her eyes so I walked away and grabbed something. She woke back up started crying. Now she’s whining in her crib. Am I doing something wrong? What else can I do? I know she’ll sleep better with a routine. And I know having her day scheduled (however loosely or rigidly) will help her and us. And I know it’ll take a couple night of this to stick but will it always be this hard? 😢