Should grandparents be paid to babysit their grandchildren?

Ju

I was on another site where I came across a post. This woman was upset because her husband wanted to pay his mom to watch their child when the woman has to go back to work. Her stance was ‘that is her grandchild & she (the grandmother) should want to spend time with him/her). Therefore, the parents shouldn’t have to pay her.’ She also emphasized that the grandma is well off and don’t even need the money.

I honestly disagree with this. I feel like it’s one thing to ask the grandma to babysit here or there while you go run some errands or have a date night or whatever. In that instance, no maybe she shouldn’t be paid. But if you are expecting her to watch your kid for several hours a day consistently

for an extended period of time, then yes she needs some sort of compensation. Grandparents aren’t there to just sit around & babysit. They have lives too & it’s pretty unfair of a person to ask said grandparent to basically be a child care provider for free,

I mean, if the grandparents want to do it for free (and I’m sure many would), then that’s perfectly fine. I just don’t think one should automatically expect a grandparent to babysit for free. & be upset if they don’t want to do it.

But that’s my opinion. What do you guys think?

Vote below to see results!