How much am I bleeding during my periods? 🌸

How much am I bleeding during my periods?

How is Very Heavy Flow or Menorrhagia defined?

Officially, flow of more than 80 ml (or 16 soaked sanitary products) per menstrual period is considered menorrhagia. Most women bleeding this heavily will have a low blood count (anemia) or evidence of iron deficiency (1). In practice only about a third of women have anemia, so the definition of heavy flow can be adjusted to be more like nine to 12 soaked regular-sized sanitary products in a period (2).

Can I figure out how much I’m bleeding?

The easiest way, knowing that one soaked, normal-sized sanitary product holds about a teaspoon of blood (= 5 ml), is to record the number you soak each day of your flow. Another very easy way to measure flow is to use a menstrual cup like DivaCup® that has markers for 15 and 30ml of blood loss.

A “maxi” or “super” tampon or pad holds about two teaspoons or 10ml of blood!

Most women will lose less than 16 teaspoons of blood (80ml) during their period, with the average being around 6 to 8 teaspoons. Heavy menstrual bleeding is defined as losing 80ml or more in each period, having periods that last longer than 7 days, or both. But it's not usually necessary to measure blood loss.

** NOTE :

I do suffer with Anemia - iron deficiency.

I did take pills for it but it was either too weak or too strong for me 😔

My periods are very heavy, pain is incredibly painful and the nausea is very difficult to handle!

I'm stuck with symptoms between "Menorrhagia" & "Endometriosis" 😢

I use about 13 pads on my period! Sometimes 11. All the heavy clots and heavy flow..

I'm terrified of going to see a Dr 😭 JUDGE ME!!

I was even told that, loosing so much blood during my periods that I could die???!!