My best friend started dating my ex

Emily

Hi guys. I am reaching out to you all because I need some help with my emotions and I feel this is a safe space.

My ex and I broke up three months ago after being together off and on for about 6 years. It was mutual and we both wanted to be friends afterwards. We have a mutual friend who has known both of us the entire time we were together. I’ve known her longer than I’ve known my ex. While he and I were still together we were playing tennis in a team with our friend and we still play together after breaking up.

Last night after a team dinner, my friend and my ex told me they had started dating a month ago. When they told me, I was trying to be supportive of them because I don’t want to get in the way of their happiness. If the two of them being together makes them happy then that matters more. I love my friend so much and want the best for her.

But I am actually very upset and a little angry. She knows me and my ex and was there through all the good and bad moments throughout the 6 year relationship. And it feels like a betrayal that my best friend would choose to be with someone that I share a long history with. It is going to be very awkward and uncomfortable to try to be friends with both of them now. And I’m not sure I can handle it.

Am I being crazy? Or am I justified to be a little upset?