Ectopic pregnancy and methotrexate ๐Ÿ’”

Natassia

We found out we were pregnant at 5 weeks, week 6 I started bleeding and cramping and I knew something wasnโ€™t quite right. For the last week I was feeling nauseous and this just stopped ๐Ÿ˜”

After a few back and forth trips to the hospital, it was confirmed that I had an ectopic, or also known as pregnancy of unknown location. My HCG levels shown I was pregnant however there was nothing in my uterus ๐Ÿ’”

My only options were the methotrexate injection which is a chemotherapy drug to dissolve the pregnancy or surgery to remove a tube. As surgery was the most invasive I decided to go for the injection. They warned me about all the side effects; nausea, sickness, tiredness, hair loss however I havenโ€™t felt any of these. Maybe the tiredness part but thereโ€™s a lot going on in there!! So surprisingly I am โ€˜feeling okโ€™ from the outside, emotionally I am way far from it but I will be in time.

My only worry now is that our doctor said we HAVE to wait 3 months before we try to conceive again to prevent any birth defects. I have read so many conflicting things online about this drug and how some doctors say 1-3 months or wait for 1 or 2 cycles. I also read that the link between methotrexate and birth defects hasnโ€™t yet been proven. Obviously we wouldnโ€™t want to not wait and put our child at risk but with so many people saying they had healthy babies after the 1 or 2 cycles itโ€™s hard not to wonder if we could too.

Has anyone had any similar experiences they could kindly share?

I have my first blood test tomorrow to check that my HCG levels are dropping as they should - if not then I will need a 2nd shot of methotrexate which will mean I HAVE to have 6 months apparently ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ญ and I am wondering if at this point I opt for surgery if it means we can try again soon.

Sorry for the long post ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ’” Wishing for our ๐ŸŒˆ