Ectopic pregnancy and methotrexate 💔

Natassia

We found out we were pregnant at 5 weeks, week 6 I started bleeding and cramping and I knew something wasn’t quite right. For the last week I was feeling nauseous and this just stopped 😔

After a few back and forth trips to the hospital, it was confirmed that I had an ectopic, or also known as pregnancy of unknown location. My HCG levels shown I was pregnant however there was nothing in my uterus 💔

My only options were the methotrexate injection which is a chemotherapy drug to dissolve the pregnancy or surgery to remove a tube. As surgery was the most invasive I decided to go for the injection. They warned me about all the side effects; nausea, sickness, tiredness, hair loss however I haven’t felt any of these. Maybe the tiredness part but there’s a lot going on in there!! So surprisingly I am ‘feeling ok’ from the outside, emotionally I am way far from it but I will be in time.

My only worry now is that our doctor said we HAVE to wait 3 months before we try to conceive again to prevent any birth defects. I have read so many conflicting things online about this drug and how some doctors say 1-3 months or wait for 1 or 2 cycles. I also read that the link between methotrexate and birth defects hasn’t yet been proven. Obviously we wouldn’t want to not wait and put our child at risk but with so many people saying they had healthy babies after the 1 or 2 cycles it’s hard not to wonder if we could too.

Has anyone had any similar experiences they could kindly share?

I have my first blood test tomorrow to check that my HCG levels are dropping as they should - if not then I will need a 2nd shot of methotrexate which will mean I HAVE to have 6 months apparently 🤷🏼‍♀️😭 and I am wondering if at this point I opt for surgery if it means we can try again soon.

Sorry for the long post 😔💔 Wishing for our 🌈