How to Handle Insecurity in my Relationship?

Hey ladies! I’m 18, and I’ve been dating my boyfriend for 2 and a half years.

I struggle a lot with insecurity and jealousy in my relationship - and it’s not his fault.

He shows his love for me every single day. I get the forehead kisses, sex, told I’m beautiful, the only one for him, we go out and have fun. He’s my best friend, we basically live together and he does everything in his power to make me feel appreciated and special.

But I’m scared my insecurity will strain our relationship and drive him away one day :(

Before our relationship, I was quite sexually experienced. However, I was his first kiss and everything else. So I guess there was never really any competition.

In April of this year, we broke up that entire month due to a variety of things - to narrow it down, he wasn’t treating me the way I should have been. We talked, and worked things out.

However, during this time the both of us slept with other people. We both had the right to do that, obviously...but I can’t seem to shake that feeling of jealousy. I know I don’t have the right to feel mad, but I do?

I’ve talked to him about exactly how I feel, and I know it hurts him that I feel this way. It makes him feel like he’s not doing enough to show I’m the only girl he thinks about, when he’s doing absolutely everything.

I have a shame schema surrounding what I did. I wish I hadn’t slept with anyone else. And I get jealous thinking about how he was intimate with others. I also know one was 23, which makes me feel she looked more mature and more attractive than me.

He tells me, if any of those women were better than me - why would he have begged for another chance? Why wouldn’t he be with them?

I have so much insecurity about how I look, too. I’m not unattractive by any means, but compared to people on Instagram and girls at the club (drinking age is 18 here, so we go to clubs) I feel like I don’t measure up.

I just don’t know what to do!!!! He’s the best boyfriend ever, I just need to cool my jets somehow