Love or Heartbreak ?

Okay ladies this is a tuff one, be very patient and careful about your thoughts on this one, I’m only 17 I go to high school and I’m about to graduate I was sitting alone at lunch until one guy texted me saying he wanted to meet up and since he had food I technically asked him for some, this isn’t all he came up to me and sat with me and I was like um okay no ones ever done this but cool, anyways, he was super super super respectful, kind, generous, humble, genuine, etc, here’s the sad part, while we were talking he told me he was on meds but I was talking to him like normal, and all, he had cancer last year... anyways we got to know each other and actually got into a moment once and we kissed nothing more than that because my past experience prevented me, my ex boyfriend was emotionally abusive, and The thing is I felt so comfortable around him. It was like I really knew him, but he went to Cali for a week and I was super bummed because of it, the week he came back he seemed super distant, I shook it off my shoulder, then he told me he needed time... and well it made sense but he didn’t have to ignore me, he said he didn’t want to lead me on and make it seem like he wanted to date me. Ladies it makes no sense whatsoever, today he came up to me and said something like nothing had happened and I smiled at him cause that was sorta weird, I mean he needed space right? He sounds confused to me ☹️, I had a real connection with him, I would joke and laugh and say random things and he never judged me and he gave me a bday gift that I seriously never asked for... where did I go wrong?