Suicide at Work

Okay so I work for a property.

I leased this guy back in June , and I knew he was going through marriage issues, PTSD from the military, had service animals.

I leased him , he moved in.

A few weeks later on 4th of July - was the first voicemail Wednesday received of a few friends concerned of him, because he was saying he was going to commit— cops and fire truck came that night — he did not commit .

There were many calls made by his wife who were in the middle of separating. She called and explained that she had to put a restriction order on him, but since she was his emergency contact, I could still update her with any health related concerns , red flags , etc.

He surrendered his service animals — called his wife , apparently they agreed to do it

Last month , another one his friend couldn’t contact him for 3 days— we tried to do a wellness check , but the cops didn’t go inside — he came around an hour later bc he got bailed out of jail , got a DUI —

Was giggling about it so I didn’t understand..

His friends and wife called me to see if he was ok — plenty of times —

He’d say he took pills or whatever — but not truly know —

We all knew he had a mental illness for sure — we didn’t think he was going to do it though.

I saw him on Thursday , gave him a package .. told him that there’s someone concerned about him (bc his wife had called) — he told me that if she called back to tell her he went out of town for the weekend , that he’s having fun , he’s at the beach or something— but he told me not to call her—- I didn’t call her back

Yesterday , a concerned friend came to the office asking for him — I couldn’t give much information - so I drove to his apartment and saw a car that looked like his , but didn’t match his license plate — also I realized he changed his emergency contact to a fake name , and his own number—-

I knocked for 20 minutes — his blinds were open in his bedroom , patio semi cracked open and his cats were hanging around in the patio.

I knocked and knocked and I could hear music in the background.. idk

Go back to the office, tell his friend to call the non emergency number to try and do a wellness check.

I call the previous friend that was worried for him from the previous incident (his DUI) and asked if she has heard of him . She said not since Saturday/Sunday morning ish— she said he wasn’t in a very good place — apparently he confessed to her that he had a noose in his bathroom (he was giggling while telling her) — she didn’t really believe him at the time bc he has said too many things before, have worried friends before to the point of them coming to the apartments worried sick —

And when the cops came I told them that she told me that — they tried knocking at first then asked before going in what makes her think he’s done something —

She read the messages out loud - it was seriously like saying goodbye .. I told them about the noose thing that his friend told me ..

They went upstairs , I was hoping they’d say he wasn’t there .

They come back down and said “it’s him”

He hung himself -

His friend collapsed , I started shaking , like wtf do I do in this situation?! I grabbed the phone numbers dof the friends that I’ve kept their numbers , gave them to the officer — and idk — it has haunted me BADLY —

His friend asked if he looked “gooey”

They sad no that he was fresh.

I still cannot stomach this — like now what? The body is gone , his cats were taken by animal control , we are waiting for his wife to come and get his belongings but still being respectful and compassionate with the situation — regardless of what he was going through , he was a good tenant — my respects for him—

I have to go in there with his wife this week, she wants to know specifics ,, and idk .. maintenance went in there , says it shows where the marks from the noose were, the bucket — giving me such a terrible stomach pain.

Depression is real, mental illness is real and now that I got to witness it, it has FUCKED ME UP—

He had friends who cared for him , family that loves him , they’re heartbroken , they feel guilty , damn , I FEEL GUILTY ..

I cannot understand how low can someone go to not get that people do love and care for them .. taking your life isn’t the end of their problems — bc now what? You’re gone , you left a print in everyone’s life—

Bills , cars , animals are left to the next person, people who grieve and still have to manage what to do next, bc your life doesn’t just end there, it just gets passed down ..

he didn’t want help //

How can we save someone who doesn’t want to be saved ?! Fuck man .

I’m so saddened— I’ve called corporate , I want to do this right , I don’t want anyone to go in that unit until family member tells us it’s the OK for us to take possession back — I won’t even rent it right after —

I’ll pray , I’ll wish him peace, and I pray he’s in a better place .

Rip to this tenant.