Brothers pt.15

Dinner was done. The music was playing & the Phillips family & their guests were enjoying the evening. Everyone that is except for James & Leila. They kept making eye contact with each other. They knew they were being watched. James knee Vance would pop the question anytime & he wasn’t sure he could handle it. The guests all adored how cute a couple Vance & Leila were. Vance paraded her around like she was some kind of show pony & introduced her to their old time family friends. James was disgusted & angry.

Mr. Phillips: Hello James.

James: Father...

Mr. Phillips: I hope you’re not soon forgetting what we talked about earlier today.

James: I heard you loud & clear.

James angrily walks away. Leila notices. Mr. Phillips looks at her & looks away.

Vance: Sweetheart, come here & join me.

Vance clanked his glass & stepped on the third step of the staircase to get everyone’s attention. Everyone looked in surprise & excitement.

“This is it... my life is over as I know it,” James thought. He stood by the back door sipping on his drink.

Vance: I’d like to greet everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for all of you have made it this evening. Your friendship means a lot to my family & I. I have a bit of an announcement to make.

Leila turned pale as a ghost. “Is he about to propose right now?” She thought.

Vance: As most if not all of you have already met, my girlfriend. This is she, Leila Richardson. Isn’t she the most beautiful thing you’ve laid your eyes on.

Vance kneels in front of her & hold on to her left hand. Leila is surprised. James is watching closely. Mr. & Mrs. Phillips are anxiously waiting to hear the proposal.

Vance: Leila, honey, I love you. For the past 5 years I’ve had the privilege of being your boyfriend. I can’t imagine the next 5 years or even the next 5 minutes not knowing if you’ll give me the privilege of being your husband. Will you do me the honor & marry me?

Leila is crying & has one hand over her mouth & one hand in Vance’s hand. She looks up at the crowd & picks James’ out in the midst of it. He’s crying in the back. Vance let’s go of Leila’s hand & reaches into his coat pocket to fish for the ring box. He gets it out & opens it. The crowd gasps & Leila’s eyes widen at the sight of the diamond.

Vance: We can’t forget about this.

Leila: Yes! I’ll marry you.

Leila remembered the promise she made to Mr. Phillips. She was trapped into this marriage. Her hand in marriage belonged to Vance, but her heart belonged to James. As soon as she said yes, James left the room. Leila forced a smile as people came up all around them to looks at the ring & congratulate them. Mr. & Mrs. Phillips came towards Leila & Vance. Mrs. Phillips gives Leila a hug. Mr. Phillips gives Vance a victory nudge.

Mr. Phillips(whispers): Well done, Leila.