Brothers pt.36

As Leila walked the streets of Greece, she decided to get a ride from one of the pedi-cabs. She hailed one & got in.

Gabe: Where to, miss?

Leila: I need to find the nearest drugstore.

Gabe: Ok, we’re not too far from one. It’s about 10 minutes from here.

Leila: Thanks. Hey, you look familiar. Do I know you?

Gabe: All the tourists says I look like an American actor? Not sure which one.

Leila: Really? No, not an actor. I feel like I’ve met you before.

Gabe: No... Unless you’ve been to Greece before.

Leila: No, it’s my first time.

Gabe continued small talk with Leila hoping it wouldn’t dawn on her who he really was. Leila couldn’t quite put her finger on who this driver was.

Gabe: Here we are.

Leila: Thank you...

Gabe: I’ll wait here.

Leila: Oh nice. Round trip?

Gabe: Yes, since it’s not a busy day.

Leila: Ok, I’ll be right back.

Leila hopped out of the pedi-cab. She glanced at the produce & walked into the drugstore shop. Gabe texted James to let him know Leila was safe. Minutes later, Leila was down shopping & she came back out to meet Gabe.

Gabe: That was quick.

Leila: I knew what I needed.

Gabe: Alright, same place I picked you up?

Leila: A little further. I’ll let you know.

Gabe: Alright.

Leila kept looking at Gabe in the mirror, but left the thought alone. She trusted that maybe he had a familiar face & that was it. She enjoyed the rest of the pedi-can trip watching the scenery & people. Vance had always talked about bringing her to Greece. Now that they were finally there, it wasn’t what she thought it’d be. Was Greece absolutely gorgeous? Yes! But she’s much rather be with James anywhere else in the world.

Leila: That building on the corner.

Gabe drove up to the corner lot & dropped Leila off.

Leila brought out her wallet to pay Gabe. Gabe waved his hand signaling not to pay him. Leila was confused.

Leila: No, I owe you a lot. You gave me a round trip.

Gabe opened up has front basket & pulled out a bouquet of tulips & handed them to Leila. Leila smiled, but was a bit skeptical.

Gabe: Your round trip was paid for. Have a good time, Leila.

Gabe drove off & Leila was left speechless. She knew this was James’ doing. Leila waved to Gabe & shouted “thank you!” He waved back as he drove away. She looked at the tulip bouquet & there was a card inside. It read:

“Missing you more than words can describe. I’m aching at the thought of you. Wish you were here or wish I was there. Remember that I love you & that I’m waiting for you...” She couldn’t help but tear up. She knew what he meant about aching at the thought of. She was feeling that aching feeling. She quickly got rid of the card before she reached the loft.

Vance: There you are. How was the town?

Leila: Beautiful.

Vance: What did you need? Flowers?

Leila: Oh! For the room...

Vance: I could’ve had them delivered here.

Leila: But where’s the fun in that?

Vance: Ok, ok. Let’s go get ready for dinner.

Dinner was nothing short of romantic. Candles were lit throughout the restaurant overlooking the Grecian sea. Couples everywhere. Men playing violins & guitar & several singers all got up to the corner stage. Leila was impressed as usual. Vance knew how to wine & dine. That was how he got Leila in the first place. During one of the singing numbers, Vance looked right at Leila & reached across the table to hold her hands.

Vance: Let’s dance.

Leila: Oh, no thank you.

Vance stands up.

Vance: Come on, sweetheart.

Leila reluctantly stands & agrees to dance with him. Pretty soon other couples followed suit & joined them on the dance floor. As they danced, Vance whispered compliments into Leila’s ear. He commented on how beautiful her hair was, how good she smelled, & how sexy she looked altogether. She had to admit to herself that he was truly a sweet guy. As much as James was only a part of her life for the past 6 months, Vance was a big part of her life for the past 6 years.

Leila: Honey, will you excuse me? I need to use the restroom.