Hair removal extra charges

Victoria • Stay safe everyone!

Hi so a friend and I were chatting about this a while ago about when, how often and if we go to to professionals for hair removals.

In my experience, I’ve had people tell me a price upfront then provide the service and try to charge the extra afterwards. I assume this is because I’m hairier than normal. I have mixed feelings about this for a couple reasons. Reason #1: I feel that it’s wrong to ask for it after the fact and I’d rather have someone be upfront that the price varies based on this factor otherwise I feel like I’m not fully informed because all I see is a sign with a price on it for that one specific service. #2 This brings up the question: Should professionals that provide this service be allowed to charge different amounts for the service? I think this is also important because what if they are underlying health conditions that are the cause of the extra hair(I.e. hirutism has been linked with PCOS and is that fair to charge someone because of a medical condition they can’t control?

I understand some could try to take advantage of the system to avoid paying less but shouldn’t we try to fix it by perhaps asking this while setting up the appointment and providing any relevant medical information rather than being put on the spot in public and embarrassed for something out of ones control? Anyways my thoughts are that people should be upfront about the price, not change the price after the fact and mention if the price can change from person to person beforehand.

Also I think it’s important to recognize ties between hair growth and potential excess and medical ties that the person shouldn’t be faulted for. I think this is especially important because PCOS is also linked to genetics and again not the fault of the individual. What are your thoughts on this issue?