One Night Stand pt.18

Dylan & Dyxon brought Grandma Harper & Summer our for breakfast at a local diner.

Grandma: This place brings back memories. I remember coming out here back when I was in high school. This is where I met your grand dad, Summer.

Summer: Really?

Dylan: This place must’ve been hopping back in the day.

Dyxon: Back when Dylan was a little boy, his mom & I took him here every Saturday morning.

Grandma: You should’ve brought your mom today, too.

Summer placed her hand over Grandma’s hand. The smiles on Dylan & Dyxon’s faces faded away.

Grandma: Oh, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know. Would you please forgive an old woman?

Dyxon: It’s ok. It happened years ago.

Grandma: But we still hold memories of them close to heart.

Dyxon: It helps to talk about it.

The waitress stopped by their table to take their orders.

Dyxon: Yeah, Karen was the love of my life. We were childhood sweethearts. I’m glad we met when we were young because I always thought she was taken away too early from me. From us. Dylan was in the 7th grade when Karen was taken from us.

Summer reached for Dylan’s hand to hold.

Dyxon: Karen was driving home after work & the rain was pouring down hard that particular day. She & another car collided around a sharp turn. I remember receiving a call from the hospital. I picked Dylan up from school & rushed to the emergency room. She was already in critical condition. Karen waited for us to get to the hospital to spend one more hour with us before she went to heaven.

Grandma: Well, you two are some of the strongest men I know. My husband’s prayer was to go before me because he always said I was the stronger one & that he wouldn’t be able to live without me. I beg to differ, but that’s just how life worked out for me.

Dyxon: Well, you’re a strong woman. Dylan tells me you helped raise this angel of a woman.

Grandma: Angel?! Summer?!

Summer: Grandma!

Grandma: This girls wears a halo, but also wears horns & a tail at times!

The group laughs.

Grandma: It was not easy, let me tell you! We’d be sitting here all day with all the stories I’ve got.

Dylan looked over at Summer & winked at her.

Grandma: I’ll save them for future occasions. I’ll probably never run out of stories to tell. I remember when I moved in with her & my son, Sam, her father. My son was overwhelmed with work & raising his 8 year old daughter by himself. Forgive me God for saying this, but that poor excuse of a mother left my son & granddaughter without a note, reason or word. She just up & left.

Grandma starts getting choked up. Summer hugs her.

Grandma: Sorry, I still get upset thinking about it all. Anyways, we haven’t seen Miranda in about 15 years. My son is still serving on active duty in the military. He only gets to come home for the holidays.

Dyxon: Looking forward to meeting him soon.

Dylan: Me too.

The waitress brings their food. They enjoy their meal & share a few more laughs together.