I thought I'd be bored on maternity leave pre-baby...

Cat

...but I was wrong!

I'm fortunate enough to work in a state that allows up to 4 weeks of pregnancy disability leave before your due date for uncomplicated pregnancies. Fearing how my boss would take it, I wasn't planning on taking any, working up to when I gave birth. My husband really pushed for me to take at least 2 weeks before my due date and I'm so glad I listened to him!! I've prepared a week's worth of frozen meals, made padsicles, knit a baby hat, washed all the baby's 0-3 month clothes and linens, cleaned the apartment (multiple times), visited friends, and, best of all, when I get tired, I rest.

If you have the chance for any pre-baby leave, I can't recommend it enough. I know it's hard to feel like you're letting your company down (at least in the US it seems less accepted for people to take leave surrounding pregnancy and new babies, and women often take a hit career-wise if we do take leave). But it feels so healthy and natural to have this nesting and resting period, and I'm hoping if more of us who can take advantage of it do, the more accepted it will become...and maybe we'll have healthier and less-stressed moms and babies!

Ok, maternity leave PSA rant is over, good luck to all the moms and moms-to-be!