Question for RVT/LVT’s (in CA or otherwise)

Mariah • 24 • RVT 🐾. • YCVTP 2019 👩🏼‍🎓 • 🐶🦎🦎🦎 • 04.27.2015 💖

So I posted this somewhere else but never got any feedback so sorry if you’ve seen this before and extra sorry because I have no idea where else to post this.

I’m wondering if someone might have the answer I’m looking for.

Graduated with an AS in Veterinary Technology back in May and just passed the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) November 15th (🎉). I’ve already sent in my RVT license application on November 20th. California’s BreEZe estimates the processing window to be 12-14 weeks before I actually see my license (ugh).

However, my employer and coworkers are really counting on me to get my license. I work for a small hospital and the lead/only RVT dropped a bomb on us after my VTNE and stated that she is leaving permanently, which technically leaves us high and dry.

My boss/vet brought up a question that I couldn’t find any answer to.

So, my question (and yes, this may be a silly one): can I LEGALLY practice as a RVT even though my license application hasn’t been processed yet? I have the degree, I have the passing VTNE results, I just don’t physically have my license yet and I want to know my legal limitations while I’m waiting in technician limbo. Can I handle controlled substances? Can I do the normal things a RVT/LVT could do (in the state of California)? If yes, could you please cite the source?

I’m fine if the answers are no; I just want to know my boundaries as an “unlicensed” tech.

Thanks in advance! :)