Paying my mother for childcare🙄 PLEASE help!😭

Sarah

Ok guys I NEED advice. A little back story and kinda long..my husband and I have been together since high school. When we were 22, we unexpectedly got pregnant. We were both still living with our parents. He moved in with me and my family. We had our son. When I went back to work my mom offered to watch our son as she stayed at home while doing foster care. She was charging us $100 a week. We then got engaged, and moved out. Still paying her the $100 a week. I worked about 35ish hours a week at the time so this is how much she was watching him. Then, we got married, moved out into an apartment. Two months after getting married I lost my job. I quickly got another job after about two months. Once I went back to work she told me just $50 a week to watch him. Great. Then when my son turned about three, she said she wanted a raise and this wasn’t enough money. She wanted $100 a week again. We agreed, it was going to be tough financially but it is what it is. We then purchased our first home, in the same town as my parents lived which was great for bringing my son over before work. All the sudden out of nowhere they liked the idea of buying a new home since we just did. So they started looking for a new house themselves. I was devastated because we purposely bought our home near theirs to stay close. They ended up moving which tacked on about an hour and a half more a day of driving than I was doing before which in turn costs me more in gas obviously. A few months after our son turned four, we got pregnant with our little girl! As soon as I started planning to leave for maternity leave, my mom said she will watch both kids when I go back to work. I am a week away from going back to work and she’s telling me it will be $200 a week for both. Now compared to daycare this is cheap. However I didn’t think she would double it. I spend so much more money in gas now plus now we have a mortgage it all just seems like so much all at once and I’m freaking out thinking we can’t afford this along with all the normal kid expenses. I mentioned to her today if there is anyway she would do it any cheaper. She basically said we have too many bills. How is that helpful? Also my husband is extremely handy with construction and automotive, so there have been a ton of times he has fixed their vehicles for free and we have both helped with renovations on both of their homes and we wouldn’t ask for a penny because we’re family and that’s just what you do for each other. Now she’s asking me if I have any better ideas. I don’t know what to say. I’ll post the conversation below. There are some texts mixed in that don’t pertain to the argument.