Should we talk to them or keep it from them?

Last April my husband got sole custody of his 2 children. The mom signed the papers without us going to court (no idea why) and she’s been the non custodial since. She’s VERY controlling, of the kids and tries to be with us. Everything was semi smooth until about 2 months ago my step son said he wanted to go back to live with her (he’s 13). My husband obviously won’t agree unless she gets a lawyer and we go through court because she has proven many times to be an unfit mother, and she signed them off in the first place. But now she’s going CRAZY about it. Our son has let it go kinda, it came down to missing his mom so we’ve opened a lot more communication up (she never calls). But now she’s saying we lied and “falsified” the paperwork that she signed and he doesn’t have custody. Saying we’re liars and manipulators, blah blah blah. She’s been causing hell the last 2 weeks about her visitation, switching it up and trying to refuse to give them back at times (trust me we don’t let that happen). My husband has had talks with the kids about how their mom is truly a pathological liar since they’re teens, and opened up about a lot. However this time we’ve said nothing and acted as if it’s all fine. We haven’t brought up the mom in months unless its positive. But truly its been almost unbearable. I’m worried she’s going to talk to them and get in their head as she’s done before. They understand we have custody and not her, but she seriously talks out of her ass. Should we update the kids on what’s going on so they aren’t blind sighted if we do have to go back to court, or keep it from them? I hate stressing them out but I’m worried she’ll just force false info down them.