Bottle feeding

Louisa

Those of you that are planning on bottle feeding, how are you intending to make up the bottles?

I'm pregnant with baby number 2 and I had a nightmare with feeding my firstborn. In a nutshell I had planned and committed to breastfeed him but it just didnt work out for us (baby was failing to thrive and I ended up under the breast unit for the first 16 weeks due to multiple cysts caused by endless bouts of mastitis, 9 back to back courses of antibiotics, an admission to hospital through a&e and all sorts of other mischief). In the end we opted to bottle feed which in hindsight was the best decision we made at the time and he gained 19oz the first week of having formula after losing weight for the 1st 3 weeks of his life on breast!

I hadn't looked into bottle feeding and was clueless. The 30 minute wait for the kettle to cool to make up formula seemed a lifetime with a particularly fussy baby (whose crying and distress would go from 0-100 in seconds) so we decided to use ready made formula. The liquid that comes pre-prepared in bottles and ready to drink. This was largely because he liked it so much and we were so thankful he was gaining weight so we stuck to it.

Its so expensive in comparison to powdered formula and no extra nutritional benefits so I'm hoping not to go down that route this time.

However.... 30 minutes still seems like ages to wait during night feeds.

How are you ladies planning to make up your bottles for the babies/ how have you made them up for previous babies?

Thank you so much, I just don't want to get it wrong and am interested in what everyone else is doing.

Update:

Thank you all for your advice. It has been so helpful to see how you have all done it 🙂. I'm in the UK and the guidance here is to use still-hot boiled water directly on the powder (to kill any potential bacteria in the powder), and also keeps the water sterile. Babies can have water from the tap from 6 months here but not recommended for newborns until boiled.

Its such a shame we cant use it straight from the tap here though- that would be so convenient

I've got some really handy tips and will look into the hot flask to pour on the powder at night and mixing with cooled- boiled water or maybe the tommee tippee perfect prep machine.

Thank you all so much ❤❤❤