Rude comment about new baby

Sarah

So our son is 2 years old, just turned 2 in May. We had decided years ago, before we ever had kids, that we wanted our children to be 2 or 3 years apart. It was just what we wanted for ourselves. My husband's family has two people who have multiple times made comments about how we should wait until our son is 4 or 5 before trying for another, we just ignored it or said "we'll know when it's the right time for us."

We'll our sons birthday came around and right beforehand, we decided to go ahead and stop birth control so it would have time to leave my system. We started trying, expecting it to take awhile since it took 2 years with our son, and we got pregnant in our first cycle of trying. We are both so excited and a lot of people are so happy and supportive, but my FIL says that he wishes we would have waited because he wanted more time to bond with our son while it was just him (first grandchild), and my husband's grandmother said these exact words to us when we announced: "you guys need another baby like you need a hole in your head." And then said "I'll be excited later but I wish you had waited another year."

It absolutely infuriates me that they would just openly say this shit instead of a simple "congratulations" 😒 we are 24 and 25 years old, pay our own bills, never ask for anything from them, and our child has everything he needs. They've never had to buy him diapers or food or anything besides gifts that they chose to get. And it's not that they think we're bad parents, they brag on us all the time for how well we raise our son. I have no idea where the attitude came from and how they thought this judgement was okay. I just needed to rant, I'm so mad 😅