MRI Experience and Results

Rebecca • 💙💙

For the backstory of why we’re getting a back story, my son was diagnosed with NF1 through genetic testing. It’s also possible he had a seizure several months ago, but we can’t say for sure. Post seizure it was decided that a MRI should be done sooner than between 2-3.

On the day of MRI my son was a little weary and unhappy that we couldn’t feed him. The nurse was kind and talked me through the basics. The anesthesiologist was not as kind and was talking me through the different options and when I told her what way would work best for my son she through that idea out the window and told me she was gonna do it another way. They wouldn’t let me go back there with them either to be with him when they put him to sleep. So the nurse gave him a toy and grabbed him and once he realized it wasn’t me and I wasn’t with him he FREAKED OUT. I heard him screaming his head off from the room and all I could do was sob. It was really hard to hear and not be able to do anything about, and then it took over an hour for the procedure. (Picture pre-MRI)

Once he was finally brought back in the room he was very excited to be able to nurse, but still very sleepy as well. He was also really upset once he became more awake that he couldn’t take his IV out. I had to fight with him for a half hour prior to the nurse coming back in to make sure he ate well and to take his IV out. We were able to go home shortly after, but when she handed me our exit paperwork I found out that she had to go the route I knew would work better (using gas to put him to sleep and then putting his IV in rather than numbing his hand and trying to put the IV in and putting him to sleep)

For the results we found he does have a tiny white spot that is non-descriptive, but I’m just glad it’s not a tumor. And then we found his optic nerves are kinked so we’ll likely have a follow up appointment soonish with ophthalmology (at least I hope because our original follow up isn’t until February). We will be doing another MRI in about a year.