Long term potential? - possible trigger warning mentions of mental health

Olivia

My boyfriend and I have been together since we were 12 (young, I know...) and best friends for 7 years. He’s just turned 14 (still young, I know...) and I’m about to be 14, so almost two years together now. I’m always being told that teenage relationships don’t last, but we’ve both been assessed by psychologists and we’re very old for our age.

We have stuck with each other through thick and thin -

• my depression, anxiety and PTSD (recovered!!)

• his anxiety and PTSD (recovered!!)

• me moving to the USA, to the Netherlands then finally back to England

• my best friend’s depression

• my other best friend’s OCD and anxiety

• both of us being diagnosed as ‘gifted’ (not a gift trust me it’s not a brag. It’s genuinely hard and that’s why it’s on the list)

We discuss everything -

• marriage (with a healthy amount of understanding that it’s not incredibly likely)

• sex - we both are determined to wait until it’s legal, and maybe even until marriage

• would-be-kids

• both of our mental health

• possibility of breakup

• my period - he’s mature and helpful about it and has read books and done research so he can be as supportive as possible

And practically anything else you can name

We both believe in treating our relationship how we want it to end up - marriage, not a teenage fling. We both have a great relationship with each other’s families and support each other unconditionally. I would (and have) trust him with my life. We’re not afraid of arguments; we’ve argued and resolved things before with ease and maturity.

Do all teenage relationships end badly? Am I just being overly hopeful? Or does it have real potential?

Thank you for reading all the way!!

Livvi :)