Separated from Family Until Vaccine

Kimberly

Anyone else in this boat? My entire family lives out of state, not within driving distance, and my mom works at a school. She is wearing a mask, but her students are not, which seems like a great way to spread covid to everyone. The school has an insane policy that kids under 7 don't have to wear one, and all she works with are kids under 7.

She desperately wants to come see the baby when she's born and I desperately want her here. But I don't think it's safe, and I don't think it realistically will be until there is a vaccine. If she was working remotely, that would be one thing - but being with unmasked students everyday is another entirely. She would have to quarantine for 2 weeks before she came to visit, and she can't take that amount of time off, plus however long she would want to stay. And then there's the flight, which is a problem, but not as big of a problem as the school.

Is anyone else in this situation where you wont be able to see family until there is a vaccine? How are you handling it? We moved from Indiana to Arizona last year, and being so far away was tough enough... but I never, ever thought this would happen. Best case scenario is a vaccine is available in January, she'll get one immediately and then get the follow-up shot in February and would then have immunity by March, at which point baby will be 6 months old and i wont have seen my family for more than a year - but that assumes everything goes to "plan" and that as a teacher, she gets one of the first rounds. Just feels so hopeless right now.