Cradle cap + breastmilk = magic

Liz

A few weeks ago I noticed the first few flakes of cradle cap on little baby's scalp.

I know it's not because I did anything wrong or neglected hygiene... My first also had cradle cap, and I have a very sensitive skin with dandruff and psoriasis, so it's probably genetic predisposition, but I still dreaded it!

With my first baby we asked the pediatrician and kept her instructions to the letter, and it still took weeks before it cleared up. Plus it looked so bad! I know my little one wasn't suffering, most likely didn't even notice anything but the treatment. The skin between the scales looked inflamed, and I feel like we did everything we could and it still ran its course and went away on its own.

This time I got a wild idea!

I tried looking up if breastmilk could help but I didn't find much on the topic. There was an old forum thread with a short comment with "I put breastmilk on it and it went away" but it really didn't give any more information.

Well at the very least I learned about the properties of breastmilk, and the things they recommend for cradle cap. It really seemed like the two were not in conflict so I supposed it wouldn't hurt to try.

Ladies, it was like magic.

I have a haakaa which fills up in the mornings, so I took that milk and dabbed some on baby's scalp until her hair was soaking. I put a little cap on her so she wouldn't get cold. Twenty minutes later I bathed her, and instead of her regular baby soap I just poured the rest of the milk on her. I gave her a gentle rubbing down.

The next day her scalp didn't look any worse. It was dry and flakey, much like of she had dandruff. Thinking back to my first, I thought that this was immediately a positive.

We continued with these milk baths for an entire week, and her scalp never got worse - indeed, it started clearing up!

Afterwards we continued with her normal bath routine, and it's only been a week or so but it really seems to be gone.

No inflamed skin, dry scales, yellow and red patches like a burn scar.

Just... Put breastmilk on it and it goes away. Next I'll try my untreatable dandruff.

It's magic, I swear!