Giving Birth after positive Group B Strep Test

Emma

I saw some people asking questions about group b strep so I thought I would share my experience. I tested positive for it at the beginning of the pregnancy, so they never re-tested me. My water broke and when I got to the hospital they started antibiotics for the group b strep that they said would be administered every 8 hours until I gave birth. I only ended up receiving one dose before my daughter was born. When she was between 8 and 10 hours old, the pediatrician ordered labs done on her. They did a blood culture that they said they check at 24 hrs and 48 hrs. Because of this blood culture, my daughter and I have to stay at the hospital for longer to make sure the cultures come back negative. The pediatrician said she may be willing to let us leave if the culture is negative at 36hrs because the likelihood of it starting in the last 12 hours is so low. So far my daughter is completely healthy and acting normal so hopefully the antibiotics during labor did what they were supposed to. I am in America so that’s what the experience has been like here.