Racism in work/question

I’m frustrated and at a loss. Do you guys think we have a case?

My husband works for a delivery company. He is black, the hiring managers and higher ups are all white. Most of the staff is white.

My husband got a phone call today from a white man that refused a promotion because of this issue. This man told my husband that his hiring manager told him that the route they gave my husband was “the worst route they had” and that it was run down and no one ever tipped well” and that she “would never want to do that route”. He asked why she gave it to the new guy and she said “he is black, so he can handle that stuff.”

This is the lowest paying route, and there are no tips given I this route. (Others have made 4,000-5,000 in tips for December alone)

Ladies...I am beyond frustrated and so is my husband. The man that called my husband said that he was going to HR and if he wanted him to write a statement for court he (along with one other witness) would

This all happened this morning.

Flash forward to now, the head manager of the whole area called my husband to apologize, gave him a sign on bonus (that was already being advertise as my husband just signed on, and I’m not sure why he wasn’t going to get that anyways...) and that they would deal with the manager that did that to my husband.

I am at a loss. I feel like the sign on bonus is just a way to keep my husband quiet. My husband wants justice and wants to take them to court. I’m scared that there is no case if they are firing her anyways but agree that racism needs to be exposed.

What do you think?

Update: both witnesses are willing to testify

Second update: He doesn’t care if he is fired. He hates this job. He just doesn’t feel like it’s fair. He should have already gotten a sign up bonus. They haven’t done anything to give him a different route. We also aren’t too sure what “taking care of it means” like are they gonna fire her? How will they keep these issues in check to not happen again? We don’t feel like they have made it right. (Also there is no need to delete comments. I want genuine opinions even if they disagree with mine. I’m looking for others thoughts. )