I don't think I want a relationship EVER

Anayansi

I was watching this show with my mom about the life of some famous Mexican singer who had it pretty rough before she made it. I kept getting mad because her husband is an abusive ass who constantly cheats in her but is obsessed with the idea that his wife is cheating on him. I got really upset because many characters in the show are supporting the relationship and its disgusting to me. My mom ended up kinda pausing the show and explaining to me that there are many kinds of relationships where cheating is involved. Im sixteen and have never been in a relationship and I also come from a Mexican background so honestly infidelity on the husband's part isn't considered the worst thing in the world, and my mom even made the point to tell me that pretty much every women she has ever known has been cheated on or has suffered through some crazy relationships. I feel kinda bad now but I got upset and started crying because it hurt so much to know that I could be hurt like that. I'm a total romantic and would love to see the beauty in relationships and love, but my mom telling me that her relationship with my dad had been chaotic, furious, hurtful, and heartbreaking is not something I want to hear. I don't know if I'm just an idiot who's stuck in this fairytale notion of what a good healthy relationship is supposed to be like but I know I don't want to have to go through decades of torment and distrust just to get to spend the latter decades of my life with someone semi-decent who "stuck-it-out" with me. Maybe its because I'm living in a white neighborhood and have been told what is good and what isn't but having to hear this from my mom makes me think I should just avoid it all together because I find it disgusting, disrespectful, and pathetic.