Do you agree with this policy?

In California if you don’t have health insurance when you go do your taxes they will charge you a penalty. The penalty is which ever is greater, either 2.5% of your annual income or $750 for you and each dependent.

We are currently about to do our 2020 taxes and we didn’t have health insurance since we couldn’t afford it. We lost our jobs do to Covid recently. So we will be fined a $1,500 penalty for not having health insurance.

Do you agree with charging a penalty for not having health insurance? Me and my husband looked into getting health insurance and it’s $700 a month for the 2 of us and we can’t afford that and that was just the crappiest cheapest we can find that doesn’t include dental, hospitals, just healthcare through their one doctors office. I don’t understand why they charge a fine to people because they can’t afford health insurance which only makes it even harder to afford health insurance.

Edit- yes Trump administration did get rid of the penalty but then California created their own state penalty. 😒