do you think a relationship could work?

this is very long so if u read the full thing thank u ! and please read the full thing before u make any comments !

so my ex and i started dating when we were 15 close to 16 (our birthdays were are close together. now we’re both 18 but not together. when we were dating a couple months into this i sadly became abusive. i was going through a lot in my life and i ended up being emotionally, mentally and physically abusive (i only scratched him twice) i had anger issues. close to the end of the relationship he was getting fed up.

he started being mean to me and ignoring me and comparing me to other girls etc. we broke up and i got help for my antics. i went to therapy, got put on meds etc. 3 month after we broke up we started talking again. we talked on and off. not back together but we just talked and has sex occasionally. we both had our fair share of being emotionally, and mentally abusive during this time. i was still in therapy and what not. and it went on like this for about a year.

then suddenly things were great. we still aren’t together to this day. but we’ve really improved on ourselves as people and we haven’t done a bad thing to each other in about 3 months. ik that’s not a long time but still. we’re happier with each other then when we were even dating which i’m surprised about. we’re even spending v day together and i got him a gift!

he knows i like him and wanna date him again and he likes me too, i’m just not sure if he wants to date me. i’m also scared of us falling into old ways again which. do you guys think i’m wasting my time or it’s worth a try? i know some people have beliefs on “once an abuser always an abuser” but i mean i have changed and so has he A LOT and ppl can really change if they want to.