Is there something wrong with me?

24 virgin. I need advice on what birth control I should get based on my concerning experience with the gyno getting my first pap smear last year.

Everyone I've talked to has said it is "a little uncomfortable" or it hurts "a little", but my pain was out of this world. The gyno said at one point that I should be feeling a cramp like a period cramp but nothing about this experience resembled a cramp. It was like a thousand needles in my vagina, the entire time the gyno was in there. I was seeing stars afterwards.

I admit, I was stupid and didn't take ibuprofen beforehand like you're supposed to, but dang. I didn't think it would hurt that bad. No one I've talked to has had the stinging needles feeling in their vagina during a pap smear. And it wasn't just when they grazed the cervix, it was the entire time.

So now I'm looking at the IUD for birth control, but between the horror stories and the presence of pain during insertion, even for people who can do pap smears just fine... It makes me wonder if this is a bad decision and if something is wrong with me?

I have PCOS and am on the bigger side, and I know there are problems with the pill for people like me as well, so I just have no idea what to think. I have talked to my gyno, she told me I could have any birth control I want and that's not helpful when I'm trying to find out which would be best for my body.

Do you think there's something wrong based on the pain I encountered? Should I take my chances with the IUD or the pill?

Edit: I have also experienced terrible pain putting in tampons. (Only have tried twice in my life and they were horrible experiences.)