Were my parents abusive?

My family runs a business and since the day I was born it was expected that I would work there my whole life and was never given the freedom to explore anything else that I wanted to do.

From around age 10 I was made to do heavy work and had to “earn” going out with my friends. My other sister didn’t have to though.

When I was leaving school I tried to have a conversation with my parents about maybe staying in education or talk about what else I might be interested in doing. They told me, “you’re coming to work for the family business and that’s fucking final”. I never tried again.

When I was doing my exams at the end of school, my dad had me out working until 3am and I had an important exam at 9am. They said it didn’t matter about my grades because I was always going to work for them

That’s just a few examples but it summarises what my child hood was like. I left school ten years ago and I still work for them. I feel like they have manipulated me into believing I’m not capable of trying anything else and they don’t even pay me well. I probably wouldn’t be capable of anything else because I’ve never had the opportunity to try. Idk my parents suck

Vote below to see results!