Confused

My boyfriend and I started talking about the possibility and our stances on sex a couple of months ago, he’s always been the one to bring it up and shut it down... he’ll say he thinks he’s ready or that he’s ready and then says he’s not a few days later, which I obviously respect and I don’t bring up the subject to him until he does again... he’s told me he’s somewhat religious and I think that might have an impact on why he’s not ready but it’s hard to tell. A few weeks ago now he said he was ready and we had planned out everything but then a few days before he said he wasn’t again and when I asked him what changed his mind (which I probably shouldn’t have done...) he said that he wasn’t ready from the start, which I find a little silly cause he’s the one bringing it up every time...

I don’t want to pressure him in anyway as he knows I’m ready, but I feel like he and I need to talk through this properly, but I don’t know how to bring up the subject as I’m scared that by bringing up the subject it might make him feel pressured, which as I said IS NOT WHAT I WANT. Because to be honest idc if we have sex or not in the near future, I just kinda feel like he and I need to have a proper talk about it rather than sexting and sending a few nudes back and forth on occasion...