Fear of the crib

My kiddo will sleep anywhere but the kid, my kid will not even play in the crib. I think us trying to sleep train has traumatized my little one. I even took the sides off the bed and just left the head board and baby slept perfectly fine it it. ( I was there all night watching working on my computer from home) but the next day I put the crib back to normal and nope won’t lay in it, play in it nothing. Idk what to do,and can only blame myself for trying the cry it out method. So now my baby associates the crib with a bad place and just cry. My husband seems to think it’s ok if we just transition the crib to a toddler bed. ( we have transitioning crib it can be broke down to a twin) I think baby is not ready for that and moved around to much in sleep and risk falling out. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else baby scared of the crib? Prior to this baby would sleep in crib but with one rail down and with crib pushed up against our bed ( doctor ok it) but recently we did sleep training and now 🤦🏻‍♀️ even placing baby near the crib will cry turn red my 1st two was not like this 🤷🏻‍♀️