COMMON PUMPING PROBLEMS AND HOW I FIGHT THEM

De

If you’re anything like me and you were never taught a single thing about using a breast pump, the difficulties of breastfeeding, or exclusively pumping, let me share some tips that I’ve learned from COUNTLESS trial and error.

1. Elastic nipples are a thing. And if you have them, pumping will seem completely impossible and unbelievably painful. It’s where no matter what size flange you use, your nipple stretches to fit the entire thing, causing pain and damage. I discovered this after purchasing 7 different size flange sizes and HOURS of research. Why is this not talked about more often.

How I fight it: First I bought silicone flanges in a much smaller size, and that helped a lot. It saved my EP journey. However, I recently discovered that placing a nipple shield over the opening of a plastic flange works PERFECTLY. It stimulates the entire nipple instead of just the sides which is much more efficient at drawing out more milk, while preventing your nipple from stretching. Silicone flange: 50$ Nipple shields: 8$

2. More suction =/= more milk: Don’t leave your pump on letdown mode and don’t stay to strong. When I first started I scoured the internet trying to figure out how a spectra pump worked and what settings I was supposed to use

How I fight it: Start in letdown mode until milk flows freely (about 2-5 minutes) Start expression mode on the highest frequency with minimum suction. Every 2-3 minutes go down a frequency and up a suction. When milk slows down too much, use letdown mode again. DO NOT TURN IT UP SO HIGH THAT IT HURTS

If enough people like those I’ll post more tips!