What would you do?

C

I just had my second baby 2 weeks ago. He had to be delivered early due to IUGR. He’s healthy but he’s little, 4lbs 7oz when born. Last week we had a weight check and he was 4lbs 9oz. We just had one today and he’s 4lbs 1oz.

He’s EBF and wants to eat every 3-4 hours. At night he’ll sleep for 5-6 hours straight without waking if I let him. Our doctor said to start supplementing with formula to get his weight up. So to nurse and then feed him a bottle.

I want to make sure he’s getting all the calories he can, that’s what’s most important. I nursed my first son until he was 2 and didn’t hate it but also don’t feel strongly about continuing to BF either way. Right now I have a reminder/alarm set for feeding every 2 hours but he usually doesn’t want to eat unless he’s ready (which is closer to a 3-4 hour window, like I said).

Does it make sense to continue to nurse and supplement? Should we just go straight to formula? Can I change my diet to get more fatty milk?

What would you guys do?

*Disclaimer - we have a follow up appointment on Friday (in 2 days) so I will ask my ped these questions then. Just curious to hear from other mamas in the meantime*