Felons & apartments

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of felons coming home and applying for apartments ? My kids father who is 20 comes home in 4 months . I have an apartment and when I reached out to the property manager she said he would have to apply and if he has a background it gets sent to someone higher up .. but wouldn’t his chances be very low of getting accepted for my unit (to live with me) because #1 he’s going to apply the day he comes home and he have no income & no credit ? Do they look at my info as well because I already live here or would they so look at his info ? Idk it’s not like he’s applying for a whole separate unit . He’s just trying to move in with me 😭 this is going to be very difficult. Should he wait until he get a job and some income to apply or apply the day he comes home .. also the reason he’s trying to do it ASAP is because he will have to go to the half way house when he come home due to not having a home plan . He did have one but that person recently passed away