Advice needed: Wanting to start a family soon, but brother lives with us

Taylor

Sooo…I don’t know where else to get feedback on this. I don’t have friends I hang out with regularly. I have talked to my sister but would like more perspective. I don’t know if anyone will even read this 🤷🏼‍♀️

I am happily married and bought a home with my husband 2 years ago. It is a large home that has a separate apartment area in the basement. We always planned on renting it out when we first moved in for a while and it was a great fit for my brother. I am really close to him and he was looking for a new living situation. Plus, it was just so much space down there that we wouldn’t even be using. So flash forward to today, he has been renting from us for basically the whole duration we’ve lived here.

My husband and I both get along great with him and love having him here, although privacy is not always upheld on his end. We never enter his apartment but he enters our space all the time.

My husband and I are seriously considering starting a family within the next year or so. I am worried about my brother being here. I fear he may never leave, but I also enjoy having him here. But pregnancy, birth, postpartum and raising a family is very personal and private. I want to be able to go through this journey without a third party chiming in. Especially one that doesn’t understand babies or women’s struggles in the slightest. Or my brother walking in with my boob hanging out while breastfeeding because he wants water from my kitchen sink, not his. 🙄 I’m worried he’ll judge role dynamics between me and my husband or try to be there for me more than my husband, then blame my husband later.

I feel like it would be best for me and my husband to sit him down either before conceiving or when I get pregnant and make known boundaries, privacy, and prepare him for changes. But I’m curious what other people might think since I still have time. It’s kind of a sticky situation. I value my close-knit relationship with my brother, but I value privacy in my marriage more.