Depression in Relationships & Healing

Have you ever been in a relationship where both sides were depressed and it caused things to get unhealthy and toxic?

My fiancée and I are currently going through this but we got an emotional support dog for me and she’s been helping him too. Now things are good and healthy. We’re happy. It sounds silly that a dog can help us both feel better but she really has helped us so much :) I know who he is and I know what he’s gone through. He’s making the effort to go to a psychiatrist and get therapy. We’re just waiting till his health insurance is sorted, which will be done today. He’s an alcoholic but he’s been sober for a year (praise Jesus). He stopped drinking immediately after he did something abusive and realized it. Nothing physical, it was mental. Which I know doesn’t make it okay. I just wanted to clarify in case anyone was curious. The root of our problem were all because of his drinking. We also found God together and got baptized on the same day.

There’s been a lot of hurt in this relationship and there’s also been so much good. He loves me with his everything and shows me that every day. We have hard times when he gets triggered and it’s been the same with me. He helped me heal after I was (TRIGGER WARNING) r*ped and I’m helping him heal through the abuse he’s experienced throughout his life.

I’m so grateful for him. I do feel doubt sometimes but it always fades when we talk things out. We even say “this is toxic” “this is unhealthy” and talk through it with complete honestly. We own up to our mistakes. I just hope that I can completely forgive him for how he’s hurt me in the past. He’s apologized constantly throughout the years. He shows genuine remorse and he’s truly changed. I’ll bring up what he’s done when I’m sad and he asks for forgiveness all over again. He listens every time. Not once has he told me to “just get over it”. He reassures me with love and empathy. He’s genuinely a good man.

I’ve never had this much faith in romantic love.

I’m curious, would y’all stay and work through serious issues with someone you love if they’ve done the same things that he’s done for me?

I just wanted to share my story!