Chemical or Implantation?

Sarah

Looking for advice on what could be a possible chemical pregnancy from those who have gone through it before….

We got a BFP on Friday (15 DPO, 2nd day missed period)! This is baby #2, so I’m only @ about 4 weeks (first day of missed period was Thursday). We were very surprised, since I only got my IUD out and had a period in August, so this was our first month trying. Also took a test Saturday (16 DPO, 3rd day missed) morning (diff brand) and it was positive.

Starting Friday (15 DPO) night, there was some spotting when I’d wipe — mostly dark/old blood, but sometimes looking more red. Mild cramping all day Friday and Saturday, nothing too crazy and like a light period. Saturday I did have a thick brown/red gush on underwear. Overnight, I wore a pad and woke up to it being lightly covered with red/pink and that has continued all day— all very light still. Have also felt like my period was coming for past few days, with the mild cramping and the feeling of a light “gush.” Nervous because I had none of these symptoms the first time and I don’t know when to worry! The bleeding isn’t getting heavier, but it does seem to be turning more red than brown. I would have expected heavier with a chemical?

Spoke with the midwife on call at my practice and she said that this could be normal/implantation, but the period feeling and light cramping has her thinking it could be a chemical pregnancy. She said I could either wait a week and see if my period comes, or come in for blood draws Monday and Thursday for HCG (I am going to do the blood draw for peace of mind).

I had no spotting or cramping with my first pregnancy, just exhaustion! I know it’s early days still, but I can’t ignore my gut feeling that something is….off.

Any insight people can provide would be soooo helpful.