Money Problems

Before my wife and I got married I received a sum of money and I sent part of it to my mother in law to hold on to for me while I was single. My wife and I wanted to get an apartment I obviously told her about this money. We decided to take part of the money my MIL was holding onto for me and it worked out. When we needed the last portion of the money later on my MIL told me she didn’t have it because it got mixed in her money and her and I have discussed several times that her funds we were running low. My wife has constantly told me to ask her for the money even though I speak to my MIL and I know what her situation is and that she doesn’t have it. It’s gotten to a point where if I don’t ask my MIL for the money when my wife tells me to ask it’s an issue. My wife feels like I’m not sticking up for my family amongst other things. Every time my wife has asked me to ask her about the money I’ve done and there’s been a little back and forth then but now because I told her I would ask then ask later it’s an issue. What am I suppose to do if I know my MIL doesn’t have the money ?

Side note I did this to help me save I was in my early 20’s and I’m closer with my MIL than my own father because unfortunately that’s just the way it is.